Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Foolish Woman

Who: Me, waiting in line minding my own business
What: 11 Items in my cart
Where: 20 Item or Less Self Checkout: Commissary Case Lot Sale


So, I'm innocently standing in line, my 11 items in my cart.  A woman walks up behind me.  I think to myself,  I wont be rude and interrupt her phone call, but when the next self checkout comes open, I'll wave her around me... she is after all, very pregnant and only has one gallon of milk, while I've got 11 items.  Yes, there are 4 different self checkouts, but that is the polite thing to do.   So, not even two seconds after I think this, she says loudly, to me, more than the person on the other end of her phone call, "You know what I hate?  I hate it when people go to the self check out when they know they have more than 10 items (hello? it's 20 or less) and they just stand there and know I'm behind them with only one thing!"  So, I've decide not to reward bad behavior and I say to my friend Steph, who is already checking out, (loud enough for the rude prego to hear, of course) "Well, I was going to let this lady with one item go ahead of me but since I heard her talking rudely about me on her cell I'm going to just go ahead and she can wait." 


Honestly, that was rude of me, but it is sometimes gratifying to not let someone walk all over oneself.  I suppose I could have let her go 1st.  What would you have done?   

8 comments:

tamiz said...

LOVE IT! You made my day! I too like to stand up for myself. I'm having trouble deciding lately how much "standing up" is the perfect, appropriate level. I don't have the answers. You did the right thing in my mind.

Andrea said...

Funny, I think I would have added something like if you hadn't been on your cell phone and would have been paying attention you could have gone first.

Applehans Fam said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're so cute. I think you should have also pointed out that it was a 20 items or less check out, not 10. :) I wish I had more guts and could think of clever things to say on the spot! I always think of them later.

Cina said...

I probably would've done a combo of what Michelle had said and what you had said. And please don't feel bad Amy, you were simply responding to her behavior by not rewarding her. :P

<3

Maggie said...

I am impressed Amy. Instead, I probably wouldn't have said anything and been mad that I let this woman be rude for the next 10 days. Your way of handling it was much better! Way to go!

Jenny Kuhni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Sounds like she needed to be taught a lesson! haha And I think you were pretty nice about it too!

crazyray said...

well everyone sounds way nicer then me.i say rude things out loud for sure if someone is being like that.i have an awful temper and sometimes things just come out!