Monday, October 11, 2010

End In Sight?

I commented to a friend a week or so ago that I wanted to stay in this house until the day that I die. She said, "Oh that's so awesome that you love your house so much!" I replied with, "Oh, no, I never want to go through all the work of moving!" Don't interpret this as me not loving our new house because I do but I'm not sure if there is ever going to be an end in sight of both unpacking and the mile long To Do List. I am adding work faster than I am getting things crossed off. I am under the firm belief that the prior owners treated this place like they would a rental. I don't think a lone hammer was lifted in the name of this house since the the contractor sighed in relief that his job was finished. A small portion of repairs have included the following events - death defying vaulted ceiling fan removal, repair and re-installation; a hole in the wall named "Baby Beluga" by the lovely almost 2 year old; 600,000 nail holes filled, (patiently awaiting paint); jetted tub on/off switch repair; leaky sink and shower returned to fully operational status... and the list goes on. You'd be here until tomorrow reading both my "done" and "to do," so I will spare you that mess.

The good news is this: we love craigslist. We have been running around getting things that are posted on the "free" section and giving a little TLC and making them like new again. Items ranging from a lawnmower ($10 fix), to a garage door opener that was "too noisy," to a trampoline, and a few other pricey items that had nothing wrong with them! Thank you wasteful Boise citizens. Keep posting your discarded items and we will keep checking for things we need. I love your wasteful ways combined with my superhuman husband's mad skills to fix almost anything - all but our broken air conditioner I suppose, but hey, a guy can't fix everything.

Speaking of my Superman, last drill his unit was officially notified of deployment. Feb 2012. Do you think that 17 months is enough of a notice? A little overboard, but I guess its nice of them to tell us as soon as they find out so we can do all we can to prepare and do lots of family time stuff. We are not "sorry" so please don't be sorry for us, we are looking forward to the deployment as a great opportunity for Kevin to further his career and I'm doing my best to keep a positive attitude.

3 comments:

the laser family said...

Can't wait to see the awesome job you both have done... It will be a dream home when it's completed!

Unknown said...

I suppose that's one way to really make the house your own... rebuild it right?!? Lol. AJ told me about the room with no door you guys suspect. That's kinda funny. You should put in a little crawl space and make it into a secret clubhouse! =] It will all come together, eventually. At least you've got your own space again. Don't think I'll ever take that for granted again! Deployment is a great time to start a business... or so I've heard. Besides, you're one tough cookie. I know you'll handle it way better than I ever would.

Kaybi said...

I hate home repairs... Good luck. I also love having a handy hubs. It makes things better. Everything will turn out wonderful in the end and you'll have a georgous home to show for it. :) Bummer about the deployment but at least you have plenty of time to hang out before hand. Michael deploys in June. It sucks but of well. :) Keep in touch!!