Saturday, November 8, 2008

Milk Cures Crying

Milk is a new cure for crying... when it comes to onions that is. I discovered it on my own last night as I was cutting up a huge lot of them. I decided I was going to dehydrate some to make cooking easier/quicker/cleaner. So, 10 HUGE onions, one hour of chopping into 20+ cups, a sharp knife, 3 glasses of milk, no tears, 9 hours in the dehydrator and making the neighborhood smell like an onion field only yielded me about 4 cups of dehydrated onion. Yay!
You would think that I would have ended up with more final product when I started out with huge bowl of chopped. I guess onion is more water than onion. (So to make the milk thing work, when you start to feel the sting coming on, just gulp milk and you'll be good to soldier on!)
Oh, and a few relatives have complained they can't comment without having an account, so I changed my preferences so you can comment and choose "anonymous" so let the comments roll on in family members.

4 comments:

krista said...

huh... that's really good to know. altho aj chops all our onions as i'm not a big fan of them. i'll have to pass that on so he can keep up his macho man image while he chops onions. lol.

Mike and Kaci said...

Thats a good idea, but looks like too much work and for not too much dried onions. Maybe when you come to visit you can do it for me? I like the tip- always good to know.

Applehans Fam said...

You're so industrious. Just wait until the "nesting" stage of pregnancy hits - you won't sleep you'll be so busy with projects. :)

Unknown said...

Look at you, I avoid the hassle by buying the dehydrated onions, you are such a little homemaker! Good tip, I had never heard of milk being the "cure"