Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What does 13.1+6.2+ (40x0.5)+0.93+24.8+6.2 equal ???



It equals a lot of sore muscles, that's what.

Upon moving back to Idaho, I was promptly talked into a half marathon (13.1 miles). I was super nervous, and I KNEW mom would leave me in the dust. Luckily, about 1/4 mile into it, I happened upon my cousin Emily, and we ran the whole thing together. Honestly, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, just a mind over matter thing. The longest I'd run up to that point was 10 miles, so naturally, I was most concerned about the last 3. I had a blast, but found I have no desire to do a full marathon. Mom did end up leaving me in the dust. My goal was 1. to finish 2. Not walk 3. Have under 10 minute miles. I actually had just under 9 minute miles, taking me under 2 hours! I placed 15th out of 83 in my division. I was really surprised I did so well.

The next race I did was a 10k in Bonners for the Kootanie River Run. I was just shy of 3rd place in my division, but it was a fun run nonetheless.

And, the craziest thing I've done to date, was letting mom talk Emily and me into a 40 mile 2 person relay in Idaho Falls. It wouldn't have been so bad, if it was flat, but no, it was anything but flat. We each did 20 miles, alternating out every 5. Mom was on a different team. Here is Emily giving me water as I am on mile 19 while mom is headed back on mile 21. Joe was our driver, and he was awesome.



These last 3 races were just "training" for the competition I was in on Saturday. In January, my good friend Brenna talked me into doing a triathlon in Burly. Which was totally crazy because I wasn't a "trained" swimmer, I didn't even have a bike, or any knowledge of how a triathlon works. And, the week before, Brenna informed me she wouldn't be able to make it to Burly as planned.

I was really nervous, I barely slept on Friday night. Here I am about to go get into the water. I was also wondering if I was crazy because about 95% of the people had wet suits. The water was actually really warm, so I was glad I didn't have to peel a wet suit off to get on my bike. I was in wave 6, which means I started 50 minutes after the 1st wave, with one going each 10 minutes. It really boosted my self esteem to pass people with "5" on their swim caps! It took me 20 minutes to do the 1.5K (.93 miles) swim, thanks to the Snake River current :). I was not fond of the dirty water making seeing impossible, so I mostly did the breast stroke.


Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures on the bike, they just missed me after coming back from breakfast. The biking part was SO much fun. It was a blast to blow by people at 25 miles an hour! My average speed was 20.2, taking me 1 hour 13 minutes to finish the 24.8 miles. The running after wans't too bad for me to "get my running legs back" as everyone says, I just had stomach cramps/side ache for almost all of the 6.2 miles. Here's me running faster for the finish line, it was all down hill, so that was the easiest part of the whole run. My time was just under an hour, total triathlon time was 2 hours 39 minutes. I was thinking it would take me over 3.5 hours or something crazy! I had a blast, and it was really great to have Kevin, Chloe, Dad, Joe, and Alexis and Elise there to cheer mom and me on!


I ended up 9th in my division, and surprisingly, I can actually walk today. I have a few sore muscles, like in between my shoulder blades and my hamstrings. I'll be back to normal in a few days and I will begin training for swim team! I am so excited for that. The guy who runs the swim team in Caldwell was helping me train for the tri and thinks I can be competitive as a swimmer, so that is my next adventure. So, since starting training in January, I started out about 157 and a high body fat %. As of now, I weigh 141 and I am down to 16%! I have never been this lean, or worked so hard on something, might sound lame, but I'm kinda proud of my hard work.

5 comments:

Brenna said...

I am so bummed and so proud all in one moment. Bummed that I wasn't there with you! After all... I've been dreaming of watching you cross that finish line since January. Proud because you absolutely KILLED IT! Amy, you are amazing. You have the heart of a lion my dear. And careful, if your body gets any hotter- your never gonna want to get prego again! :) Looking good dear! Looking good!

Mike and Kaci said...

Look at you! You look so good. Most I have ever run is 3 miles... :) Long ways to go!

Jenny Kuhni said...

Dang girl!!! You should be!! You look absolutely amazing! You are an inspiration to me lady!!! Totally!!

Heather said...

Those are some HUGE accomplishments! You should be dang proud of yourself!

*RACH* said...

So Proud of You! What an accomplishment! I envy your dedication! You look great, keep it up girl!